Leader: Carol Kearney
Attendance: 15 Members, 4 Guest
Spotlighter: Jim Looney
On Deck: Linda Thomas
- Share our Facebook Events.
- There are still some pending leads from January, please close them out to clean up our stats.
- When you invite a guest to join us, please CC Doug to add them to his meeting reminders.
- We had a great turnout at our last social. The next social will be in the fall and will likely be volunteering for Mobile Hope like we have done in the past.
- Cascades Fall Festival October 13th. Join Erica and Dr. Eric for this free community event in Cascades. Email Dr. Eric or Erica for more info
Spotlighter: Jim Looney
- Jim was born in El Salvador in the 1950’s
- Shortly after Jim’s little brother was born, his parents separated and he moved with his mom to California
- In an attempt to rekindle their relationship, his mom moved the family to Greece to be with Jim’s father
- Then to separate again, Jim’s family traveled through Yugoslavia to Spain and ultimately to Missouri
- This is where Jim met his “new dad” who was in the Air Force
- Following his “new dad’s” orders, the family spent 3 years in Spain, then moved back to California, then to Hawaii, and eventually to Clinton, MD.
- Afterwards, his family moved to Okinawa, Japan
- As an interesting aside, while in Japan, Jim was required to cut his long flowing hair in order to get a job.
- Reluctant to do so, he bought a wig and had barber cut the wig to a “suitable” haircut, and was able to be employed. However, he had to return to the barber often to get the wig put on and hide all his hair.
- Jim eventually moved back to the US and stayed for a time in Ohio before ending up in Maryland again
- While in Maryland, he worked for a non-profit, and eventually secured a position working for the government
- After a while of working for the government, Jim began to feel bored, so after playing with his hand held computer, he noticed that he could write a code for his friend to help him compute framing costs (which was originally done completely by hand).
- He and his friend thought this could be a marketable adventure, and he spent some time marketing it at conventions and he fell in love with framing.
- Since then, he married his wife Nitaya on 1-11-11 at 11am.
- And then in 2014, he retired from the government and now focuses on his framing business.
Other guests include:
- Barbara Straight, Jim’s long time neighbor
- Farhad Sariei, Jim’s long time friend and carpenter